Pages

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Frail

I saw an elderly lady today before her surgery; I was doing my pre-anaesthetic assessment and running through the check-list.

I've explained to her and her husband the anaesthetic procedure and answered their questions. She didn't talk much, and appeared to be a but nervous too. 

As I was about to wrap up the session, her husband pulled me to the side and whispered: 

"Please take care of her; She's the only one I got."

His eyes glistened. 

"....I will, Sir."

We had a challenging time balancing her temperamental blood pressure and keeping her adequately sedated throughout the surgery, but she managed to push through, thankfully.

We kept her in ICU post-operatively for closer monitoring and care. I went to see her before going home just now and she looked all right. She opened her eyes a bit when I was fiddling around with her records, managed to gave a faint smile and continued to sleep. 

I left the hospital today, feeling grateful. 

I wonder, will I be the same like the lady's husband when I arrived at that age? Will I be as caring as he is? 

Or, will I be able to do the same to my parents, when they become frail? 

I hope I will. 

I believe I should.

InshaAllah.





No comments: